Friday, March 28, 2014

Noah

So I know this is a music blog and this is a movie...BUT...tonight I got the pleasure to see a movie that I had waited 7 years for, Aronofsky's "Noah".  My friend Bill actually asked Aronofsky in person at a pre-screening of "The Wrestler" back in 2008 about when this film was coming out and he answered that when he had the funding he would make it.  We immediately considered trying to raise some funds for Aronofsky to end the world on screen...but thankfully he ended up getting the budget he deserves.  It's probably the best film I've seen in theaters since Malick's "The Tree of Life", and it is actually quite similar in some ways.  If you're a fan of Aronofsky, films that are simultaneously thought provoking, beautiful, and extremely epic - than you owe it to yourself to see this.  

It's exciting to see Aronfksy being able to do something on a big budget (130 million), work with some big names, allowing him to reach a wider audience and to still get his final cut of the film (very thankful that Paramount's alternative versions were not released instead).  However, like the Tree of Life, it was quite a horrible theater experience - since it attracts a wider audience, there were folks yelling at the screen at times like it was some shitty-B horror or sci-fi flick, laughing at profound moments of the film and such...perhaps because they are uncomfortable with the intense emotional subject matter that the film involves at times or because they came just because they like Russell Crowe and Emma Watson and were going into the theater to be entertained, but not willing (or prepared) to listen to what Aronofsky has to say...but that's a whole tangent in itself.    

I went into this film without having seen any trailers, having read anything, and having only seen a couple stills...but as with any Aronofsky movie, somewhere in the back of my mind is the thought that this movie very well might change the way I look at life and very well might be the best movie I'll ever see.  I have no comment if either of these things occurred for me tonight...but I will say that I am not at all disappointed.     


And I'll say that "everyone is Noah, and everyone is the ark"...

No comments:

Post a Comment