Thursday, July 3, 2014

Agewood 2014


Two years ago I saw Holiday Mountain play their first show as a trio at a annual summer solstice festival in New York called AgeWood.  It was quite an overwhelming experience as it was the first show they played without me on guitar since I had joined the band over a year prior to that, which was needless to say a little emotional.  But it was simultaneously one of the most fun weekends of my entire life - filled with amazing music, mind-blowingly large fires, drunken dodgeball, giant slip and slides, and jousting...  And that weekend I was inspired by the energy, music, and people at this festival to turn my solo project from just releasing music and video online into a multi-media project that I could play shows with.  The following Fall of 2012 I started playing shows and gradually have been getting it closer to my initial vision of what I want my project to be.  

Having the opportunity to play at AgeWood this summer was indescribable...which is probably why it has taken me nearly two weeks to sit down and attempt to put words to it.  Now that my project is fully up and running for the first time, and seeing things come full circle and being embraced by all the amazing energy and people there was absolutely inspiring.  It affirmed why I'm doing what I'm doing and made the future of my solo project much clearer.  

There's a really awesome compilation record of a lot of the artists who played at AgeWood that you can check out here.  And definitely keep an ear out for some of the folks on here around the New England area as they are pretty rad. 

Since this was the last year at the original location since the festival started in 1976, they are making a commemorative film and book that will include video and photos from all Agewood events - which I can not wait to see.  And it looks like AgeWood is going to happen again next Summer at a new location which will have more space for it to be open to more people who would like to attend, and I'm definitely planning on playing it again next year.  So as those get closer I'll be posting about them for sure.  

Again - so many thanks to John, Tom, Brian and all the folks who make AgeWood happen.  I feel so blessed to be a part of it.  And thank you so much everyone who's been tuning in and supporting me the last couple years.  As long as you keep listening I'll keep playing.  I'll be posting about new music I'm making and some shows I'm playing in the near future...

Much love,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment